Originally developed for drought-afflicted areas, the principles of xeriscape today have an ever broadening appeal. With water now considered an expensive and limited resource, all landscaping projects, residential or commercial, can benefit from this alternative. Xeriscapes do not have a single look – almost any landscaping style can be achieved. The principles can be applied to all or part of a yard, in any geographic region of North America. Cascade Gardens has been specializing in Xeriscaping techniques in the Northern California area. With the California Drought many homeowners are looking for ways to have a beautiful yard while saving water and energy. We’ve complied a list of Xeriscaping benefits. If you have any questions, please give us a call. We’d be happy to talk with you for any xeriscaping project.
1. Saves Water. For most of Northern California, over 50% of residential water used is applied to landscape and lawns. Xeriscape can reduce landscape water use by 50 – 75%. That’s huge savings, especially in this severe drought.
2. Less Maintenance. Aside from occasional pruning and weeding, maintenance is minimal. Watering requirements are low, and can be met with simple irrigation systems. Who likes to maintain their lawn when they can be inside with their family.
3. No Fertilizers or Pesticides. Using plants native to your area will eliminate the need for chemical supplements. Sufficient nutrients are provided by healthy organic soil. A happy pesticide free lawn is a must for your pets.
4. Improves Property Value. A good Xeriscape can raise property values which more than offset the cost of installation. Protect your landscaping investment by drought-proofing it.
5. Pollution Free. Fossil fuel consumption from gas mowers is minimized or eliminated with minimal turf areas. Small turf areas can be maintained with a reel mower.
6. Provides Wildlife Habitat. Use of native plants, shrubs and trees offer a familiar and varied habitat for local wildlife.